Indian Cooking made Simple

Easy Indian Cooking, Bihari Cusines, Kids Recipes and much more

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Coriander Rolls

Monsoon showers have already abated the blistering heat of the North. People in other parts of the country are also enjoying the rain showers. When it's raining outside one feels like having some snacks along with tea. I remember my mom used to prepare these Dhaniya rolls when I was small and I used to relish. So today this recipe comes from my mom's kitchen, she's also a very good cook and I guess I've the same abilities. When I made this even my children loved this dish very much. The main ingredient is of course the fresh coriander. The outer cover is made of chick-pea flour or besan. A very simple to make dish ready in minutes.Let's see how it is made.

Ingredients -

(Outer Covering)

Chickpea Flour (Besan) -  200 gms
Turmeric powder            - a pinch
Salt  --                              to taste
Water -                      for kneading - as required

(Filling)

Fresh Coriander leaves -  1.5 cup
Dessicated coconut -        1.5 cup
Charoli, Chiranji, -           2.5 tblspn
(Buchanania lanzan)
khus khus dry roasted -     1 tblspn
onion                         -    1 small
Chopped green chillies -   3-4
Salt -                            to taste

 
(Curd - Mixture - Masala for sticking)

Fresh Curd                   -     1/3 rd cup
Garam Masala Powder -       1 tspn
Salt - a pinch

Oil for deep frying - as required

Method -

STEP -I

For the filling -

1. Clean, wash and finely chop fresh coriander and put it in a bowl.
2. To this add dessicated coconut.
3. Add to it chironji, chopped chillies, khuskhus - (poppy seeds)
4. Add salt to taste and mix well.

STEP - II

Mix all the ingredients under the curd mixture and keep it aside.

STEP - III

Knead a soft dough using all ingredients under Outer covering.

STEP - IV

1) Take a small ball of the dough and roll it like the picture given below.




2)Smear 1 tspn of the curd mixture on the chapati.
3) Put about 2 tblspn of the filling on the chapati.



4) Fold from below. like this picture




5) Turn from the other side - like the picture below:


6) Close the ends - see below picture


7) Boil water in a steamer.
8) Keep a perforated dish 1 inch above water level.
9) Steam the rolls for about 10 minutes.

(Note - I used idli pot)


10) Deep fry the rolls in hot oil till golden brown.
11) Serve hot with chutney/relish of your choice.
Note- Rolls can be served without frying.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Manjusha,

    You've got some excellent recipes here. I would like to take this opportunity to invite you to contribute to a new e-magazine I'm starting from 1st August. It's a fun place for bloggers to interact with each other.

    I tried to search for an email ID to contact you directly with more details, but couldn't find one. Even your Facebook page doesn't allow non-friends to send you a message. My email ID is given in my blogger profile. Please Do drop me a line. All authors will get proper credits for all posts they submit to this ezine. You can see a sample of this on my personal blog: http://mysterious-kaddu.blogspot.com/2010/04/cool-water-for-women-by-davidoff.html

    Oh and btw, you are just the 2nd blogger I've met who's from Bihar originally. I am from Patna... :)

    Hoping to hear from you soon...
    Cheers,
    Kaddu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for liking the recipes. I've already replied you on your email id. My pleasure to be a part of your team. Happy Cooking!!

    ReplyDelete